top of page

How Much Movement Should You Expect After Botox/Dysport/Xeomin Treatment

Updated: Jul 18, 2023

How Much Movement Should You Expect After Botox/Dysport/Xeomin Treatment


Anti-wrinkle injecting is a flourishing industry growing in popularity. In fact, the popularity of anti-wrinkle injections in Australia has grown more than 14% in the year to 30 May 2022.


Wanting to look youthful and wrinkle-free is definitely not a new concept, in fact it’s centuries old! Prior to cosmetic procedures being available people used makeup to look younger (think ancient Egypt).


In the past, among some, there was a reluctance to speak openly about cosmetic procedures. Both women and men were cagey about cosmetic procedures and – instead – attributed their youthful appearance to genetics or a skincare regimen (yep, believable … not!).


All that is changing and over the past couple of decade non-invasive cosmetic enhancements are now both more common and normalised.


Can I hear a collective yay?!


So, if you’re considering anti-wrinkle injections you certainly aren’t alone – no matter your age!


What is anti-wrinkle injecting and how does it work?


Let’s get back to basics with what Botox/Dysport/Xeomin treatment actually does and how it works.


It was first approved for cosmetic procedures way back in 2002 and before then had been used since the late 1980s for relaxing eye muscles and treating eye conditions.


According to The Mayo Clinic: “Botox injections use a toxin called onobotulinumtoxinA to temporarily prevent a muscle from moving.


Botox, Dysport and Xeomin all do the same thing. They temporarily weaken or paralyse facial muscles or by blocking nerves. For cosmetic injections it’s used to lessen the appearance of wrinkles by weakening the treated facial muscles.


When the Botox is injected into muscles while your brain will still send messages to your body to move the muscles the Botox blocks the message from your brain to your body and keeps the muscle from moving.


Right, that’s the science part done. After anti-wrinkle injection what should you (realistically) expect after treatment?


Somewhere between two days and two weeks you will notice movement where you’ve been injected will be restricted. This timeframe is completely normal, so try not to make a judgment around the effectiveness of results until the two week mark.


Think of it this way: if you’re seeing a 90% improvement within a couple of days the remaining 10% will start to show effect in up to two week.


One of my patients told me she can tell when the Botox has started to work because she finds it harder to put her mascara on because she can’t raise her eyebrows as much as she had been able to pre-injection.


Botox isn’t permanent so it isn’t a life-long cure for wrinkles!. Like any drug, the effects will start to wear off. However, it will be a more permanent solution to removing wrinkles if you return for injections every three to five months.


The bigger the muscle, the faster you’ll notice movement return. And for smaller muscles it will take longer for movement to return.


And, it’s really important to know and be aware though, that you shouldn’t be aiming for no movement in your treated areas. No movement – at all – in a forehead gives the appearance of a frozen face. It can also lead to eye droop which no-one wants!


In the scenario you’re having your forehead treated with anti-wrinkle injections. Post treatment (and after about 2 weeks) you should still be able to frown and raise your eyebrows. BUT, the movement should be restricted.


After 6-8 weeks post injection you may notice some additional movement. Regaining some movement is completely normal as the Botox metabolises.


Slight movement does not mean you need to go back to your injector to top up your Botox. Generally speaking, your treatment will last about three to four months.


Finally and most importantly. Whether you’re considering anti-wrinkle injections for the first time – or even if you’ve been treated for years – movement with no lines is the ideal result.


So, If you’re still fully expressive and seeing/feeling movement but have fewer or no wrinkles then the botox has done it’s job!


95 views0 comments

Comments


bottom of page